The North Carolina School Boards Association is founded by Guy Phillips, dean of the School of Education at UNC Chapel Hill. He serves as executive secretary until 1966.
1937 - 1971
The association is housed at the School of Education in Peabody Hall on the UNC-CH campus. Part-time employees and graduate students devote their time as the association's staff.
165 of 174 local boards of education are now members of the association.
Raleigh Dingman, one of Phillip's former graduate students, becomes the association's first full-time executive secretary.
Following a financial and program review by NSBA, the association offices move to the Sir Walter Hotel in Raleigh. The move positioned the association to represent school boards more effectively before the General Assembly and the State Board of Education.
Dingman is named the association's first executive director. During his tenure, he sees 100 percent of the local boards become members.
The association moves into the Wake County Office Building.
The association takes residence in the Albert Coates Government Center.
Gene Causby becomes the new executive director following Dingman's death. Under his efforts, the services of the organization increase.
The North Carolina School Boards Trust division is established. The staff grows to 11, including an associate executive director and a director of policy and research.
Association headquarters is moved to Edenton Street in downtown Raleigh. Also, school board member training is formalized under the NCSBA Academy for School Boardsmanship.
Edenton Street offices are expanded to include a larger conference room for more in-house meetings. Edwin Dunlap is named new associate executive director.
Causby retires and Dunlap is elected as the third and current executive director.
Workers' Compensation Claims servicing is brought in-house.
Association moves building to Faringdon Place in North Raleigh.
Association moves building to current location on Falls of Neuse Road in North Raleigh.
NCSBA continues to provide services and support to local school boards and the public schools that they support