Dr. Janet Harmon Mason, Superintendent of Rutherford County Schools, was named the 2018 A. Craig Phillips North Carolina Superintendent of the Year at the NCSBA awards presentation and reception held Tuesday, Nov. 14 at the Joseph S. Koury Convention Center in Greensboro. The award was given jointly by the North Carolina Association of School Administrators (NCASA), North Carolina School Superintendents Association (NCSSA) and the North Carolina School Boards Association (NCSBA). Scholastic sponsored the event and provided $5,000 in recognition of Dr. Mason’s achievements. Mason was nominated for the state honor after being named District VIII’s 2018 North Carolina Regional Superintendent of the Year by the Western Regional Education Service Alliance.
“Dr. Janet Mason’s vision for digital learning and digital leadership has guided her district to the forefront statewide in these areas. She works tirelessly to improve public education for students, staff and her community as a whole, and is well-respected among her peers for her outstanding leadership. She is most deserving of this honor,” said Jack Hoke, Executive Director of NCSSA.
As the 2018 A. Craig Phillips North Carolina Superintendent of the Year, Dr. Mason will compete on the national level for Superintendent of the Year at the American Association of School Administrators’ National Conference on Education, held February 15-17, 2018 in Nashville, TN.
The 2018 North Carolina Regional Superintendents of the Year, all of whom were nominees for this prestigious state award and were recognized as such at the Nov. 14 ceremony, included:
- Region 1 | Northeast | Dr. Rob Jackson, Edenton-Chowan Public Schools
- Region 2 | Southeast | Dr. Eric Bracy, Sampson County Schools
- Region 3 | Central | Dr. Ethan Lenker, Pitt County Schools
- Region 4 | Sandhills | Mr. Michael Freeman, Anson County Schools
- Region 5 | Piedmont/Triad | Dr. Travis Reeves, Surry County Schools
- Region 6 | Southwest | Dr. Stephen Fisher, Cleveland County Schools
- Region 7 | Northwest | Dr. David Stegall, Newton-Conover City Schools
- Region 8 | Western | Dr. Janet H. Mason, Rutherford County Schools