The North Carolina School Boards Association (NCSBA) announced the winners of three statewide student contests held in conjunction with the NCSBA Annual Conference for Board Member Development: an elementary school poster contest, middle school video contest, and high school video contest. The conference was held in Greensboro November 13-15.
The high school video contest teams placing first, second, and third attended the awards ceremony held on November 14 at the Koury Convention Center in Greensboro. Cash prizes were sponsored by the Association and Fairbanks, LLC.
- First Place and $3,000 – Mooresville High School video 4, Mooresville Graded Schools
- Second Place and $2,000 – Richmond County 9th Grade Academy, Richmond County
- Third Place and $1,000 – Mooresville High School video 3, Mooresville Graded Schools
In addition, judges identified 10 videos to receive honorable mention. All finalist and honorable mention videos are available for viewing at http://www.ncsba.org/training/student-contests.
The middle school video contest winning video was from Grandview Middle School, Hickory Public Schools.
The elementary poster contest recognized first-, second-, and third-place winners in two grade level groups: K-2 and 3-5. Each winner received a certificate and art kit that will be presented to students during an upcoming local school board meeting. Poster contest winners were as follows:
In the K-2 category
- First Place – Amille Williams, 1st grade, Everetts Elementary STEM Academy, Halifax County
- Second Place – Emma Hernandez, 2nd grade, Virginia Cross Elementary, Chatham County
- Third Place – Multi-student, Kindergarten, Collettsville Elementary School, Caldwell County
In the Grades 3-5 category
- First Place (Tie) – Clara Anne Knox, 3rd grade, Shoals Elementary, Surry County
Arizona Lane, 3rd grade, Virginia Cross Elementary, Chatham County
- Second Place – Carly Bree Honeycutt, 3rd grade, Endy Elementary School, Stanly County
- Third Place – Hannah Kang, 5th grade, Camden Intermediate School, Camden County