This honor may be presented to an entire school board that has demonstrated extraordinary leadership during the school year. Please read the School Board Leadership Award criteria, eligibility requirements, and nomination specifications before submitting your application. All instructions must be followed, or the entry may be disqualified.
Criteria for Consideration
Boards receiving the Leadership Award will have demonstrated some or all of these qualities in the past year.
- Focus on students by fostering an environment in which the student can develop and flourish
- Demonstrated progress in achieving system goals
- Fostered increased parental involvement
- Developed collaboration with social agencies and/or community groups, including other governing bodies
- Created a school community that foster quality performance and innovation
- Worked well with administrative staff and as a board
- All members have complied with statutory training requirements for school board members
- All members have complied with 2-hour ethics training requirement for local governments
- The board was represented at the last meeting of the NCSBA Delegate Assembly
- The board was represented at the Fall District Meeting by a majority of the board
- The board was represented at the most recent NCSBA Annual Conference
- Completed nomination form
- A one-page narrative on the board’s leadership accomplishments during the school year, typed and double-spaced, on the following topic:
On behalf of the board, describe your board’s most important contributions to the improvement of student learning during the past year.
- District logo (color version if available), print quality
- Photo of the full board, print quality
- Optional supporting materials, such as news articles, promotional handouts, etc.
Optional Backup Materials
The judges will make decisions based on responses to the prompt on the entry form and the one-page narrative. Backup materials that support the nomination may be included.
All items listed under the Nomination Specifications must be received by NCSBA on or before September 30, 2020.
Click here to download forms. Word format PDF format