This honor is presented to one school board member who has demonstrated extraordinary leadership during the school year. Please read the School Board Member Leadership Award criteria, eligibility requirements, and nomination specifications before submitting your application. All instructions must be followed, or the entry may be disqualified.
Criteria for Consideration
The nominee has demonstrated some or all of the following qualities in the past year
- Served above and beyond the call of duty
- Advocated for students at the local, state, and/or federal levels
- Demonstrated a focus on student achievement in the district
- Worked well with fellow board members
- Pursued self-improvement and growth in boardsmanship through NCSBA programs
- Demonstrated such service that warrants special recognition
- Displayed a high quality of service with an emphasis on the previous academic year
- Noted accomplishments of the local board of education during the nominee’s term on the board
- Currently a board member or completed his or her last term in the 2019-2020 school year
- Has met the statutory training requirements for school board members
- Has met the 2-hour ethics training requirement for local governments
- Participated in board development activities, particularly in the previous 12 months
Entries must include the following in order to qualify.
- Completed nomination form
- A one-page narrative on the nominee’s leadership accomplishments during the school year typed and double spaced
- Completed School Board Endorsement Form
- Evidence of completion of 2-hour ethics training
- Training activity for the academic year
- Photo of nominee, 300 dpi minimum
- Letters of support (optional, no more than 2)
- Supporting materials, such as news articles, promotional handouts, etc. (optional)
Optional Backup Materials
The judges will make decisions based on responses to the prompt on the entry form and the one-page narrative. Backup materials to support the nomination are welcome.
All items listed under the Nomination Specifications must be received by NCSBA on or before September 30, 2020.
Click here to download forms. Word format PDF format