NCSBA’s 2021 Spring Law Conference will be held April 29-30 via Zoom. This virtual conference is designed for board members, school administrators, and board attorneys. Take a look at our agenda.
The conference is $99 per day. Board members and school administrators who attend the full conference will receive 6 hours of continuing education credit. Attorneys will receive 6 hours of CLE credit. Important note: the conference will not be recorded.
How to Register
Conference registration is through the Envise membership portal. Any board members interested in attending should connect with their board assistant in order to avoid duplicate registrations.
- Click the registration button above.
- Log in using your Envise membership portal credentials.
- In the navigation menu, click Events>Register.
- Under Select a Contact, choose the attendee.
- Under Select an Event, choose “2021 Spring Law Conference.” Day 1 and Day 2 will appear under Session. Check the day(s) the individual plans to attend. Click Add Registration to Cart.
- If registering multiple people, repeat steps 4 and 5 for each attendee.
- Choose your payment type and click Continue. It may take a few moments to process.
- Review your shopping cart and click Checkout. Complete any necessary payment information.
In this two-hour webinar, we will discuss the ethical standards established by state law for school board members. The webinar will also include a discussion of state and federal laws related to conflicts of interest pertaining to making and administering contracts and possible legal consequences when these laws are violated. Finally, this webinar will review other well-established legal duties and responsibilities of school board members.
Webinar access is for individual board members.
There will be an ethics sessions for whole-board access available in August.
This webinar will provide an overview of the constitutional and state law requirements related to student discipline. Listeners will gain an understanding of what are short-term suspensions, long-term suspensions, 365-day suspensions, and expulsions, as well as the due process rights of students under North Caroline student discipline law.
Presented by: McKenna Osborn, Staff Attorney
The 2021 NCSBA Summer Leadership Seminars and Policy Conference is back in person! The dates are June 14-18 at the Courtyard Marriott in Carolina Beach. Take a look at our Policy Conference draft agenda. Details regarding daily programming for the Summer Leadership Seminars is forthcoming.
Your health and well-being are our number one priority. On May 14, Governor Cooper announced that the state will remove its indoor mask mandate for most large group events, effective immediately. Additionally, the state will lift all mass gathering limits and social distancing requirements. In response to this announcement, NCSBA is pleased to expand the Summer Leadership/Policy Conference sessions to a maximum capacity of 90 attendees. With this in mind, the following protocols will be implemented for the daily seminars.
- The room will be set in crescent rounds of six per table. Participants will not be socially distanced.
- Unvaccinated participants are strongly encouraged to wear a mask.
- Vaccinated individuals are encouraged but not required to wear a mask.
- Hand sanitizer and masks will be available at the registration table.
- If you start to feel sick or display COVID-19 symptoms, you will not be permitted to attend any conference activities or come within six feet of others. Please remain in your hotel room and notify Angela Hunter, firstname.lastname@example.org, during the Summer Leadership Seminars or Nancy Black, email@example.com, during the Policy Conference.
Conference pre-registration is required. The cost per day is $199 and includes materials, continental breakfast, and mid-morning break. Registrations are on a first-come, first-served basis.
NCSBA has secured a limited block of rooms at the Courtyard Marriott at the rate of $229 per night plus tax. Reservations must be initiated through NCSBA if you would like to stay at the Courtyard Marriott. During the registration process, simply select the option for the day registration plus hotel stay.
Any registered participant uncomfortable attending the meetings at full capacity may cancel conference registration for a full refund. Registration cancellations must be received on or before 5 p.m. on Thursday, May 20, by emailing Chadae Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individuals on the Waitlist
Members currently on the waitlist will be notified by email to determine if they still want to attend the conference as seats become available. Please note that currently there are more individuals on the waitlist than the room can accommodate.
Participants staying at the Courtyard Marriott receive one free parking space per guest room. Offsite participants or guest rooms that have more than one vehicle must park in public parking spaces. Note that fees apply for the public parking spaces.
The entire hotel, including balconies, is smoke free. Inquire at the front desk for the designated smoking areas. The hotel is not a pet-friendly property.
- Marriott Commitment to Clean for increased cleaning and disinfection
- Carolina Beach information
- Planning a trip to Carolina Beach
- COVID-19 Information Hub (Office of the Governor)
- CDC Guidelines for Travel (CDC.gov)
For more information about this event, call us at 919-841-4040.
Check back for details.