NCSBA’s 2021 Spring Law Conference will be held April 29-30 via Zoom. This virtual conference is designed for board members, school administrators, and board attorneys. Take a look at our agenda.
The conference is $99 per day. Board members and school administrators who attend the full conference will receive 6 hours of continuing education credit. Attorneys will receive 6 hours of CLE credit. Important note: the conference will not be recorded.
How to Register
Conference registration is through the Envise membership portal. Any board members interested in attending should connect with their board assistant in order to avoid duplicate registrations.
- Click the registration button above.
- Log in using your Envise membership portal credentials.
- In the navigation menu, click Events>Register.
- Under Select a Contact, choose the attendee.
- Under Select an Event, choose “2021 Spring Law Conference.” Day 1 and Day 2 will appear under Session. Check the day(s) the individual plans to attend. Click Add Registration to Cart.
- If registering multiple people, repeat steps 4 and 5 for each attendee.
- Choose your payment type and click Continue. It may take a few moments to process.
- Review your shopping cart and click Checkout. Complete any necessary payment information.
The 2021 NCSBA Summer Leadership Seminars and Policy Conference is back in person! The dates are June 14-18 at the Courtyard Marriott in Carolina Beach. Take a look at our Policy Conference draft agenda. Details regarding daily programming for the Summer Leadership Seminars is forthcoming.
Your health and well-being are our number one priority. On May 14, Governor Cooper announced that the state will remove its indoor mask mandate for most large group events, effective immediately. Additionally, the state will lift all mass gathering limits and social distancing requirements. In response to this announcement, NCSBA is pleased to expand the Summer Leadership/Policy Conference sessions to a maximum capacity of 90 attendees. With this in mind, the following protocols will be implemented for the daily seminars.
- The room will be set in crescent rounds of six per table. Participants will not be socially distanced.
- Unvaccinated participants are strongly encouraged to wear a mask.
- Vaccinated individuals are encouraged but not required to wear a mask.
- Hand sanitizer and masks will be available at the registration table.
- If you start to feel sick or display COVID-19 symptoms, you will not be permitted to attend any conference activities or come within six feet of others. Please remain in your hotel room and notify Angela Hunter, firstname.lastname@example.org, during the Summer Leadership Seminars or Nancy Black, email@example.com, during the Policy Conference.
Conference pre-registration is required. The cost per day is $199 and includes materials, continental breakfast, and mid-morning break. Registrations are on a first-come, first-served basis.
NCSBA has secured a limited block of rooms at the Courtyard Marriott at the rate of $229 per night plus tax. Reservations must be initiated through NCSBA if you would like to stay at the Courtyard Marriott. During the registration process, simply select the option for the day registration plus hotel stay.
Any registered participant uncomfortable attending the meetings at full capacity may cancel conference registration for a full refund. Registration cancellations must be received on or before 5 p.m. on Thursday, May 20, by emailing Chadae Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Individuals on the Waitlist
Members currently on the waitlist will be notified by email to determine if they still want to attend the conference as seats become available. Please note that currently there are more individuals on the waitlist than the room can accommodate.
Participants staying at the Courtyard Marriott receive one free parking space per guest room. Offsite participants or guest rooms that have more than one vehicle must park in public parking spaces. Note that fees apply for the public parking spaces.
The entire hotel, including balconies, is smoke free. Inquire at the front desk for the designated smoking areas. The hotel is not a pet-friendly property.
- Marriott Commitment to Clean for increased cleaning and disinfection
- Carolina Beach information
- Planning a trip to Carolina Beach
- COVID-19 Information Hub (Office of the Governor)
- CDC Guidelines for Travel (CDC.gov)
For more information about this event, call us at 919-841-4040.
Core Training will be held on Monday, July 19. The training is a face-to-face session at the NCSBA Office in Raleigh that covers leadership, liability, advocacy, finance, and the required ethics training for school board members. In addition, participating attendees will receive access to digital content covering policy, open meetings, and public records. Please note that this training does not have a virtual component. Registration will open June 1 and will cost $250 per person.
Hampton Inn Raleigh-Capital Blvd. North
3621 Spring Forest Rd, Raleigh, NC 27616
This year’s Fall Law Conference will be October 13-15 at the Renaissance Asheville hotel. Designed for board members, administrators, and board attorneys, this conference is a great opportunity to learn the latest on several significant education law issues.
Registration is $199 per day. Board members should contact their board assistant to register.
The City of Asheville has imposed an indoor mask mandate, and the hotel and NCSBA are obligated to comply with that mandate. Therefore, masks will be required inside the hotel lobbies, public restrooms, and in the conference room. We are not able to guarantee a socially distanced event; please consider that before making the decision whether to register.
Core training is NCSBA’s foundational sessions for new and veteran board members. Formerly called School Board 101, Core training helps strengthen governance skills and solidify your boardsmanship foundation.
The one-day session will cover leadership, advocacy, and the required ethics training for school board members. Core training topics include:
- Leadership Training – basic boardsmanship dos and don’ts, board/superintendent roles and responsibilities, school finance, and school board liability.
- Advocacy Training – board members’ advocacy work, a legislative update on current issues, NCSBA’s member-approved legislative agenda, and a how-to talk on effectively engaging legislators.
- School Law Training – the required ethics training for school board members, maintaining legally compliant policies for schools, and access to NC’s open meetings law and public records law videos.
Hampton Inn Raleigh-Capital Blvd. North
3621 Spring Forest Rd, Raleigh, NC 27616
PLEASE NOTE DATE CHANGE FROM FEB. 25 TO FEB. 18.
NCSBA Board Officers Academy is a virtual training opportunity about the role of the school board chair. Also included on the agenda are updates on the State Board of Education activity and liability issues for school boards. Make plans to join us on Friday, February 18, from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. on Zoom. The cost is $150 per person, includes session materials and five credit hours of training.
Click here for the draft agenda.
The Spring Law Conference will be a virtual event held on March 3-4 via Zoom. Sessions are designed for board members, school administrators, and board attorneys, and will cover topics including school board meeting disruptions, managing school board issues in a digital world, and curriculum and book challenges.
The conference is $99 per day. Board members and school administrators who attend the full conference will receive 6 hours of continuing education credit. We will apply for attorneys attending the entire conference to receive 6 hours of CLE credit. Important note: this conference will not be recorded.
Board members should contact their board assistant to register.
NCSBA will hold its spring regional meetings April 26-28. These meetings are a redesign of the former district meetings and will be held each fall and spring of the year. Register for the meeting of your choice and enjoy the opportunity to fellowship and network with school board members in your region!
April 26: Western Region
Hickory Convention Center, Hickory
April 27: Central Region
Qubein Conference Center, High Point University
April 28: Eastern Region
East Carolina Heart Institute, Greenville
Each meeting will begin at 1:30 pm and end no later than 5:15 pm.
Agendas are being finalized. Below is the expected timeframe.
1:00-1:30 pm Registration
1:30-2:15 pm General Session
2:30-3:15 pm Session 1
3:20-4:05 pm Session 2
4:10-4:55 pm Session 3
5:00-5:15 pm Closing Remarks
Click here to see a list of school districts by region. Although school districts are divided by region, feel free to attend the meeting most convenient for you. Participating board members will receive 4 hours of training credit.
The June Summer Leadership Conference registration opens April 25. The conference will be June 20-24 at the Courtyard by Marriott – Carolina Beach. Registration is capped at 90 participants per day.
Registration is $199 per day. The first three days of the conference will focus on leadership training topics that currently include student health, wellness, and effective board governance to name a few. The last two days will consist of policy topics affecting North Carolina education. Please register through your superintendent’s office
Be sure to contact the hotel for participant reservations. NCSBA has a limited number of hotel rooms at the Courtyard Marriott at a conference rate of $235 plus tax per night. To take advantage of the conference rate, reservations must be made by 5 p.m. Friday, May 20. Any room reservations in the NCSBA block that are canceled after May 20 are returned to the hotel’s general room availability and are not eligible for the $235 conference rate. Therefore, please do not reserve more rooms than you need.
NC School Boards Association
Last Day to Book: Friday, May 20, 2022
Hotel special group rate: Courtyard Carolina Beach Oceanfront for $235 USD per night
Click the link below to make your reservation!