Plan to come for training that focuses on your work assisting North Carolina’s boards of education. This day-long workshop is a wonderful opportunity to network and learn from fellow board/superintendent assistants. Click here to view the conference agenda.
- Hampton Inn: 1229 Wake Towne Dr, Raleigh, NC 27609, (919) 831-4700
- Fairfield Inn: 6408 Capital Blvd, Raleigh, NC 27616, (919) 878-1120
- Courtyard Marriott: 3401 Sumner Blvd, Raleigh, NC 27616, (919) 645-0088
The Spring Law Conference will be a virtual event held on March 23-24 via Zoom. Sessions are designed for board members, school administrators, and board attorneys, and will cover topics including school board meeting disruptions, managing school board issues in a digital world, and curriculum and book challenges.
Board members and school administrators who attend the full conference will receive 6 hours of continuing education credit. We will apply for attorneys attending the entire conference to receive 6 hours of CLE credit. Important note: this conference will not be recorded.
Core Training is NCSBA’s foundational sessions for new and veteran board members. Formerly called School Board 101, participants learn to strengthen their governance skills and solidify their boardsmanship foundation.
This two-day session will cover leadership, advocacy, and the required ethics training for school board members. Core Training topics include the following. An agenda is forthcoming.
- Leadership Training – basic boardsmanship dos and don’ts, board/superintendent roles and responsibilities, school finance, and school board liability.
- Advocacy Training – board members’ advocacy work, a legislative update on current issues, NCSBA’s member-approved legislative agenda, and a how-to talk on effectively engaging legislators.
- School Law Training – the required ethics training for school board members, maintaining legally compliant policies for schools, and access to NC’s open meetings law and public records law videos.
Save the date for the 2023 COSSBA Urban Boards Alliance Symposium slated for August 24-25 in Chicago, IL. Information will be shared when available.
NCSBA’s 2023 Fall Law Conference will be held October 11-13 at the Renaissance Asheville hotel. Sessions will cover a range of school law topics for board members, school administrators, and board attorneys alike. Save the date and check back for more information.