The majority of North Carolina school districts are members of NCSBT’s Errors & Omissions/General Liability Fund. This fund provides the risk management protection members need when confronted with lawsuits against the school district, board of education, or board of education members. Errors & Omissions coverage primarily provides coverage for liabilities arising out of alleged violations of employee or student rights. General Liability provides coverage for bodily injury liability arising out of the operation and maintenance of school premises and/or school programs. This fund automatically includes no-fault excess medical expense reimbursement coverage for students and school guests injured on school campuses for free to members.
- Liability coverage tailored exclusively to the needs of North Carolina school districts
- Boards of education preserve their governmental immunity from suit, unlike when they purchase commercial insurance—a critical advantage given the prevalence of litigation against school districts
- $1 million limits of liability (higher limits of coverage are also available)
- Member districts have peace of mind that they will be defended by some of North Carolina’s top-rated education and defense lawyers with the expertise needed to handle the specific issues involved in school litigation
- Med-pay coverage extends to school guests AND students – includes coverage for student athletic injuries
- Coverage for sexual acts and abuse liability
- Coverage for cyber liability
- Optional law enforcement liability coverage
- UNLIMITED defense coverage for cases involving non-monetary claims (i.e., declaratory judgment, injunction, charter school funding cases), unlike insurance policies which may contain defense aggregates or sub-limits
- UNLIMITED defense coverage in contract dispute litigation, including costly construction contract disputes which are often excluded or limited by commercial insurance policies
*Coverage provided through the NCSBT Funds does not duplicate any state-funded liability coverage for North Carolina public school employees.