January is School Board Appreciation Month
January is School Board Appreciation Month in North Carolina. School board members play a vital role in our communities and schools throughout the state. They spend countless hours of their time and talents toward the advancement of public education. They are extraordinary people who tackle the enormous job of governing school districts, and their actions and decisions affect the present and future lives of our children.
Board members contribute hundreds of hours each year leading their districts. Whether it be crafting policies, hiring top-notch administrators, listening to staff and student concerns, or recognizing outstanding programs, board members always keep their eyes on the goal of student achievement. Many school board members are facing unprecedented challenges yet they continue to work with all stakeholders to ensure a bright future for every child.
The time spent in board meetings represents just a small fraction of the hours school board members spend in leading their districts. They are required to attend seminars and training sessions to keep abreast of the latest trends in educational leadership and are deeply involved in community activities, visiting the schools in their district, and attending extracurricular events.
NCSBA thanks our school board members for their hard work and commitment to improving outcomes for students across the state. Their service ensures that decisions about local public schools are made by those most familiar with the needs of the community’s children and families. School board members deserve recognition, appreciation, and thanks for their dedication to North Carolina’s most precious commodity – our children!
Our School Board Appreciation toolkit provides resources to help celebrate your local board — your note of thanks will go a long way to acknowledge all school board members do to serve.
Please send any photos and information from your celebrations to email@example.com. We will post photos from celebrations on our Facebook page and Twitter.
School Board Appreciation Month Toolkit
- Tips for activities
- Sample editorial: In addition to its use as a guest editorial, this article also can form the basis of a column in your community newsletter, a speech, or a letter to the editor.
- Sample news release: Customize on district letterhead and send to local media.
- Sample radio public service announcements: These radio public service announcements (PSAs) can be faxed or emailed to radio and TV stations. If you have a student-run television studio, create a video with images of the board in action and record the voice over the images.
- Sample messages for social media and inspiring quotes
- Certificate for individual board members
- Social media graphics and thank-you card templates